Dr Norrie Brown
Position with Centre: Learning and Teaching Consultant - Scotland (until July 2011)
Dr Norrie Brown was appointed as the Learning and Teaching Consultant for Scotland in November 2006.
SCOTLAND Theme page
- Promote the focus of teaching and learning within the Scottish context.
- Keep the Subject Centre informed of what is happening in Scotland in terms of policy, national priorities and issues as they differ from the rest of the UK e.g. through the Enhancement Themes
- Promote increased communication and collaborative working between Scottish key contacts and subject advisers
- Contribute to populating and updating the relevant themed page on the Health Sciences and Practice website.
Norrie is a Senior Lecturer & Senior Teaching Fellow and he is the Programme Leader for the MSc in Nursing and Applied Education, MSc in Inter-professional Healthcare Practice and Applied Education and three other Applied Education programmes. His background is in mental health and previously taught on the BN Nursing (Mental Health) and Dip.HE (Mental Health).
He is also Module Leader for an undergraduate module entitled: ‘Anti-discrimination, Advocacy & Empowerment. Norrie’s research interests are varied. His Master of Education (MEd, Edinburgh University, 1991) degree dissertation was a small study exploring the range of student-centred teaching methods used by nurse teachers. His doctoral studies (completed in 2003) was concerned with nurse teachers’ conceptions of, and approaches to, student-centred teaching and the relationship between these conceptions and approaches.
His other previous research interests include the role of the nurse teacher in clinical practice; mentors’ judgements on the clinical performance of student mental health nurses and user and carer involvement in curriculum design and development.
Research Interests include:
- teachers’ conceptions and approaches to traditional face-to-face teaching and teaching online; student nurse conceptions and approaches to face-to-face learning and learning online,
- constructive alignment and Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs);
- student and teachers’ experience of reflection.
Dr. Norrie Brown
Senior Lecturer & Senior Teaching Fellow
School of Nursing, Midwifery & Social Care
Faculty of Health, Life & Social Sciences
Edinburgh Napier University